Monday, April 15, 2013

FEW, VERY FEW ARE THEY

A RICH man said to his servant: "Take this
diamond to the market and let me know how
different people price it. Take it, first of all, to the
egg-plant seller." The servant took the diamond to
the egg-plant seller. He examined it, turning it over
in the palm of his hand, and said, "Brother, I can
give nine seers of egg-plant, for it." "Friend," said
the servant, "a little more say, ten seers." The eggplant
seller replied: "No, I have already quoted
above the market price. You may give it to me if
that price suits you." The servant laughed. He
went back to his master and said: "Sir, he would
give me only nine seers of egg-plants and not one
more. He said he had offered more than the
market price." The master smiled and said:
"Now take it to the cloth dealer. The other man
deals only in egg plants. What does he know
about a diamond? The cloth-dealer has a little
more capital. Let us see how much he offers for
it." The servant went to the cloth dealer and said:
"Will you buy this? How much will you pay for
it?" The merchant said: "Yes, it is a good thing.
I can make a nice ornament out of it. I will give
you nine hundred rupees for it." "Brother," said
the servant, "offer a little more and J will sell it to
you. Give me at least a thousand rupees." The
cloth-dealer said: "Friend, don't press me for
more. I have offered more than the market price.
I cannot give a rupee more. Suit yourself."
Laughing, the servant returned to his master and
said: "He won't give a rupee more than nine
hundred. He too said he had quoted above the
market price." The master said with a laugh:
"Now take it to a jeweller, Let us see what he has
to say." The servant went to the jeweller. The
jeweller glanced at the diamond and said at once, "I
will give you one hundred thousand rupees for it."
One offers a price for an article according to one's
capital. Can all comprehend the Indivisible
Satchidananda? Only twelve rishis could recognize
Ramachandra. All cannot recognise an Incarnation
of God. Some take him for an ordinary man, some
for a holy person, and only a few recognise him as
an Incarnation.

No comments:

Post a Comment