Wednesday, April 17, 2013

AN INTERESTING INCIDENT!

PADMALOCHAN was a man of deep wisdom.
He had great respect for me, though at that time I
constantly repeated the name of the Divine
Mother. He was the court pandit of the Maharaja
of Burdwan. Once he came to Calcutta and went
to live in a garden house near Kamarhati. I felt a
desire to see him and sent Hriday there to learn if
the pandit had any vanity, I was told that he had
none. Then I met him. Though a man of great
knowledge and scholarship, he began to weep on
hearing me sing Ramprasad's devotional songs. We
talked together a long while; conversation with
nobody else gave me such satisfaction.
Padmalochan told me an interesting incident. Once
a meeting was called to decide which of the two
deities, Siva or Brahma, was the greater, and unable
to come to any decision, the pandits at last referred
the matter to Padmalochan. With characteristic
guilelessness he said: "How do I know? Neither I
nor any of my ancestors back to the fourteenth
generation have seen Siva or Brahma!"

No comments:

Post a Comment